(IAAC) Obj: IC 3638 - Inst: 20" f/5 Tectron dobsonian

----

Observer: Lew Gramer
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 1998-01-01/02 10:10 UT
Location of site: Deerfield, OH, USA (Lat 41N, Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.8 (cirrus) <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 20" f/5 Tectron dobsonian
Magnification: 70x, 210x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): IC 3638
Category: External galaxy
Class: S?
Constellation: Vir
Data: mag 16p  size 0.6'
Position: RA 12:40  DEC +10:31
about 10' beyond i3647 (see previous log) to another faint,
but somewhat easier galaxy. IC3638 was in fact MUCH easier
to see with averted vision than its near neighbor, showing
both a much brighter core and a roundish halo. Using concen-
trated averted vision, it even seemed to show subtle hints
of irregularity in its halo shape, albeit very uncertainly.
'38 forms a shallow isoceles triangle with the mag. 12 star
neighboring i3647 (see), and with a mag. 10 star further W.