(IAAC) Obj: IC 434 & B33 (Horsehead Nebula) - Inst: 8" f/10 Ultima 8 PEC SCT

----

Observer: Adam Albino
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: UTC: 1998/02/02 3:30 (UTC: 1998/02/01 10:30pm
Location of site: Norwell, MA (Lat 42' 16.9", Elev 70' 8.0")
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: Minor - crescent or far from object
Instrument: 8" f/10 Ultima 8 PEC SCT
Magnification: 39X, 49x, 76X, 166X
Filter(s): None, UHC
Object(s): IC 434 & B33 (Horsehead Nebula)
Category: Reflection nebula Dark nebula
Class:
Constellation: Orion
Data: mag ???  size 6X4
Position: RA 05:40.9  DEC -02:28
I actually searched for the Horsehead for two nights in a row. Both
nights were very clear but had a bit of sky glow due to a thin
crescent moon and probably from some snow reflection. It wasn't until
the second night that I finally touched on some faint wisps of
nebulosity (IC434) just north of B33's position. This was using a 12mm
Nagler, averted vision, and slight tube tapping, without the UHC
Filter. The view was always extremely faint with B33 never
visible. The sky glow really hampered contrast. My low power eyepieces
never showed any detail at all with or without the UHC filter. I
wonder if a HB filter would have made the difference. The Horsehead
remains an elusive DSO for the time being at this location. Its
interesting to note that I viewed the Horsehead many times back in the
early 80's with a 6" f6 Edmund Newtonian with ease. This was from a
dark site at the eastern end of Long Island, NY and much younger eyes.