(IAAC) Obj: NGC 7000 (North America nebula) - Inst: naked eye

[This neat log was hidden some time ago among a few double-
 star observations from Nick... Thought I'd repost it alone,
 to make it more accessible.  -Lew]

Observer: N.J.Martin
Your skill: Intermediate
Date and UT: Sept 22 1997
Location: near Ayr, South West Scotland, lat 55o24'56"N
Site classification: bright rural
Limiting magnitude (visual): 6 (zenith)
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): 5+ worst ever (Jupiter was boiling)
Moon up (phase?): no
Instrument: naked eye
Magnification: 1x
Filters used: UHC
Objects: NGC 7000 (North America nebula)
Category: diffuse gaseous nebula
Constellation: Cygnus
Object data: size 100'X120'
RA/DE: RA 20:57  Dec +44:08
Observing before moonrise, I looked, with my naked eye, at the
North America nebula through the UHC filter. The nebula showed
up very clearly as an irregular light cloud, a rather blurred
version of the nebulosity familiar from so many photographs.
|   nmartin@bonnyton.u-net.com        |
|"There are more things in heaven and |
|earth ... than are dreamt of in your |
|philosophy" (Hamlet, Act 1, Sc. 5)   |