Constellation: Cetus
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
NGC 246 pn in Cetus; not too dim, 3 stars superimposed? At first I
thought this was an O/C. Large. No sign of nearby NGC 255 (=not
seen). [See Burnham's p. 651 for a photo that illustrates why I
mistook this for a cluster at first glance. The nebulosity is full of
mottling, and there are 4 superimposed stars, 3 of which I could see
more or less clearly. Observation on another night showed the object
rather easier; the mottling was evident, as were the stars, and
overall the nebula gave a strong impression of a small, scattered,
partially resolved open cluster, even though I knew better.]