Constellation: Canis Major
Data: mag   size
Position: RA 7:18  DEC -13:
Without a filter it was obvious how this object got the name the whistle.
With the OIII filter the body of the whistle became the helmet and another
protusion from the central area of nebulousity gave the appearance of a
helmet with two horns on it such as is commonly seen in old viking movies.
Below the helmet was some dimmer nebulousity which, with a little
imagination, became a beard that outlined a dark central area (the face).
To one side was an extended area of dim nebulousity which gave the
appearance of long hair blowing in the wind.  The view with the 20mm
nagler was good but the object is fairly large and our best view was with
the 40mm meade swf at 76x.  With the Hbeta (inserted by accident) no
nebulousity was visible.  I first saw this object at WSP '98 through Jim
Walker's 17.5" dob.  This is a very impressive object and I am amazed that
after 10 years of observing I was seeing it for the first time.  It's good
to know that no matter how long you have been observing there are always
more great objects waiting to be seen!