(IAAC) Obj: M42 - Inst: 6" Orion Dobsonian

----

Observer: William L. Schart
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 3/28/98 4:55am UT
Location of site: Killeen, TX (Lat 319 5s, Elev 600ft)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 6" Orion Dobsonian
Magnification: 48x, 70X, 120x, 300x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): M42
Category: Emission nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Ori
Data: mag 48x, 100x  size
Position: RA :  DEC :
When I was able to get out tonight, I saw that Orion was still up,
although pretty washed out in the glow over the city. However, I
couldn't resist a peak at M42. It was easily visible and even with the
low power eyepiece, all 4 stors of the Trapezium could be seen. I
couldn't detect any hint of redness that there has been some
discussion of recently.