Constellation: Cas
Data: mag 9,2  size 12'
Position: RA 00:39  DEC +48:20
Going through some objects in Cassiopeia in my ongoing project to re-observe
some of the brightest objects, here are some objects on a great night
from the Arizona desert.  NGC 185 is just barely seen in the 11X80 finder,
a very faint haze, better as I move the scope.  In the 13" at 100X it is
pretty bright, pretty large, elongated 1.5X1 in PA 30.  It is gradually
much brighter in the middle and somewhat mottled in appearance.  Averted
vision makes it grow.  Going to 150x with the 14mm Meade UWA is a good high
power view of this galaxy.  It is much smoother in appearance at high power,
there are 6 or 8 very faint foreground stars that are now apparent.  The
core of this galaxy is little elongated in the same PA as the galaxy, and
the core has a pretty high surface brightness.