(IAAC) Obj: M81 & M82 - Inst: 6" Orion Dobsonian

----

Observer: William L. Schart
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 4/16/98 10:00 PM CDT
Location of site: Killeen, TX (Lat 319 5s, Elev 600ft)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 7 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 6" Orion Dobsonian
Magnification: 48x, 70X, 120x, 300x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): M81 & M82
Category: External galaxy.
Class:
Constellation: UMa
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
No moon in the sky this early in the night. After some 30-45 minutes
searching I found a faint fuzzy patch. A little more searching in the
immediate vacinity and I found a long, narrow fuzzy patch. The shapes
allowed me to identify each galaxy. This with the low-power eyepiece.
With high power, these were more visible with a hint of a bright core
in M81, and, with averted vision, a hint of a dust lane in M82.  These
are the farthest objects I have yet seen.