(IAAC) Obj: M96 + SN 1998bu - Inst: 12.5" f8 Equatorial, Optical Craftsman

----

Observer: Scott Hogsten
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 05/17/1998 20:30 EDT
Location of site: Grove City, OH (Lat 40, Elev )
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 4.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 12.5" f8 Equatorial, Optical Craftsman
Magnification: 150x
Filter(s):
Object(s): M96 + SN 1998bu
Category: External galaxy.
Class:
Constellation: LEO
Data: mag 9.2  size 6'x4'
Position: RA 10:46  DEC 11:49
Highly light polluted night, all of my neighbors had their lights on.

The Galaxy was easily found by hopping from a couple of nearby stars
visible in the finder scope. To locate it I used low power 80x and the
galaxy was visible as an 'elongated S' shaped smudge (the super nova
was visible). Jumping the power to 150x the galaxy showed some
structure and became more eliptical in shape the super nova was easily
visible just north of the nucleus.