(IAAC) Frosty Leo - 16-inch F/5

Observer: Yann POTHIER (France)
Your skill: advanced (many years)
Date and UT of observation: 21 May 98, ab22h00UT
Location & latitude: Mont Goulet  (France, Lozere lat ab.N44 30, long??)
Site classification: small mountain top, alt.1500m (5000ft)
Limiting magnitude (visual): 6,0
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): 2
Moon up (phase?): no
Instrument: 16-inch F/5 DobNewt
Magnification: ab 200x
Filters used: no
Object: Frosty Leo (around GSC 0824-1094)
Category: reflection nebula
Constellation: LEO
Object data:  25"x15"
RA/DE: 09h39.9m, +11°59'
recent Astronomy magazine. We looked for it at a small star party here in
France. We spotted it first in a 30", and finding it easy, we decreased in
aperture from a 25" Obsession to a 16" homemade dob (we had no smaller
intruments...). In the 16" (good optics and collimation), the star was
easily seen and appeared slightly nebulous. I encourage anyone to try for
it with even smaller scopes (10-14") for I believe it is visible in this
aperture range (the nebula was not high in the sky, maybe 40° over the SW
horizon, and thin clouds were provoking some more absorption in the area).

I can provide a scanned scheme Frosty Leo to anyone who can read the binhex
encoding of Eudora (for Mac); just mail me to try
(ypothier@abi.snv.jussieu.fr), it works sometimes with other
configurations...

Yann Pothier	tel: 01 43 41 43 29
11 impasse Canart, 75012 PARIS, FRANCE