(IAAC) Frosty Leo - 16-inch F/5

Observer: Yann POTHIER (France)
Your skill: advanced (many years)
Date and UT of observation: 21 May 98, ab22h00UT
Location & latitude: Mont Goulet  (France, Lozere lat ab.N44 30, long??)
Site classification: small mountain top, alt.1500m (5000ft)
Limiting magnitude (visual): 6,0
Seeing (1 to 5 - best to worst): 2
Moon up (phase?): no
Instrument: 16-inch F/5 DobNewt
Magnification: ab 200x
Filters used: no
Object: Frosty Leo (around GSC 0824-1094)
Category: reflection nebula
Constellation: LEO
Object data:  25"x15"
RA/DE: 09h39.9m, +1159'
recent Astronomy magazine. We looked for it at a small star party here in
France. We spotted it first in a 30", and finding it easy, we decreased in
aperture from a 25" Obsession to a 16" homemade dob (we had no smaller
intruments...). In the 16" (good optics and collimation), the star was
easily seen and appeared slightly nebulous. I encourage anyone to try for
it with even smaller scopes (10-14") for I believe it is visible in this
aperture range (the nebula was not high in the sky, maybe 40 over the SW
horizon, and thin clouds were provoking some more absorption in the area).

I can provide a scanned scheme Frosty Leo to anyone who can read the binhex
encoding of Eudora (for Mac); just mail me to try
(ypothier@abi.snv.jussieu.fr), it works sometimes with other
configurations...

Yann Pothier	tel: 01 43 41 43 29
11 impasse Canart, 75012 PARIS, FRANCE