(IAAC) Obj: M24 - Inst: 12.5" f/6.5 Cave equatorial Newtonian

----

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 6/18/98 05:35 UT
Location of site: Naylor Observatory, PA http://www.msd.org/obs.htm (Lat 40.1d N, 76.9d W, Elev 570')
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: ~5.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 12.5" f/6.5 Cave equatorial Newtonian
Magnification: 46x, 83x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): M24
Category: Open cluster.
Class: I 1 r
Constellation: Sagittarius
Data: mag 4.5  size 90'
Position: RA 18:16.9  DEC -18:29
M24, also known as the Small Sagittarius Star Cloud or the Milky Way Patch, is
very large and contains the small and dim open cluster (about 5' and 14th
magnitude) NGC 6603 and the dark nebulae Barnard 92 and Barnard 93.  NGC 6603
and M24 are not the same object!  NGC 6603 can be found 13' to the north of
the the easternmost star in a kite-shaped asterism within M24 (see p.128 of
_The Deep Sky: An Introduction_ by Phil Harrington).
--
M24 is one of my favorite deep-sky objects.  Low power scans yield a myriad of
stars of varying magnitudes.  While the transparency that session was not the