(IAAC) Obj: NGC 6118 - Inst: 8" f/7 Newtonian

----

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 7/26/98 02:45 UT
Location of site: Stellafane ATM Convention, Springfield, Vermont (Lat 43dN, Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 9 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 8" f/7 Newtonian
Magnification: 65, 84, 119x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 6118
Category: External galaxy.
Class:
Constellation: Serpens
Data: mag 11.5  size 4.3'x1.3'
Position: RA 16:21.8  DEC -02d:17'
I was finally able to log NGC 6118, the so-called Blinking Galaxy, from
the dark skies of the 1998 Stellafane ATM Convention.  (I have been
unable to positively log this object using 17" and 20" classical
Cassegrains in light polluted south central Pennsylvania.)  Using
averted vision and noted amateur astronomer and author Phil Harrington's
8" f/7 Newtonian and a 22mm Panoptic, 17mm Ploessl, and 12mm Nagler I
noted an extremely dim, elongated, amorphous glow.  Jiggling the scope
helped me to see this somewhat inclined spiral galaxy.  The best view,
if one can call it that, was at 84x with the 17mm Ploessl.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.stellafane.com