Re: (IAAC) Obj: NGC 6822 - Inst: 12.5

Hi, Scott - this is the famous "Barnard's Galaxy," and your description
is quite apt for the low power view - it is sometimes little more than a
faint "stain" on the sky; next chance you have, though, go out and try
this one at high magnifications (the 150x you describe is a good start),
or put a UHC or Ultrablock filter on your scope and have a peek.  Under
the nice dark skies you describe, your 12" scope should show you a few
things that you didn't quite pick up the first time, like, possibly
individual bright stars (!) and brighter H-II regions.  The SEDS NGC
browser site has a good picture of it, and there are some good observing
websites for this object (notably,
http://www.angelfire.com/id/jsredshift/ - Jim Shields's site.

Nice reports - have fun!
Bruce Jensen

>Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 13:40:30 -0400 (EDT)
>To: Internet Amateur Astronomers Catalog <netastrocatalog@atmob.org>
>Subject: (IAAC) Obj: NGC 6822 - Inst: 12.5" f5 Dob
>From: Scott Hogsten <shogsten@csi.com>
>
>----
>
>Observer: Scott Hogsten
>Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
>Date/time of observation: Aug 19,1998 11:45 EDT
>Location of site: McConnelsville, Ohio (Lat 39N, Elev )
>Site classification: Rural
>Sky darkness: 6.5 <Limiting magnitude>
>Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
>Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
>Instrument: 12.5" f5 Dob
>Magnification: 125x, 150x
>Filter(s):
>Object(s): NGC 6822
>Category: External galaxy.
>Class:
>Constellation: SGR
>Data: mag 8.8  size 20"x10"
>Position: RA 19:44.9  DEC -14:45
>Very difficult galaxy. This galaxy would be in the same field as the
Planetary Nebula NGC 6818 using a low power wide field eye piece. The
surface brightness if this galaxy is very low and it is very easy to hop
right past it. The galaxy itself appeared as a very faint brightening of
the background. I could not detect any structure what so ever even
though the galaxy is quiet large