(IAAC) Obj: M57 - Inst: 70mm f/6.8 Refractor

----

Observer: Luis Arguelles
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: July,29,1998 - 21:58 UT
Location of site: Santander - Spain (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 4 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 4 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 70mm f/6.8 Refractor
Magnification: 28x, 100x
Filter(s):
Object(s): M57
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Lyra
Data: mag 9  size 1.4'x1.0'
Position: RA :  DEC :
Using 28x, this planetary shows almost equal to any other star, *except* you
can not bring it perfectly to focus as a standard star. This is the typical
object that could fool Messier noting it as a comet.

At 100x, I perfectly observe its anular form using averted vision. It's
amazing to observe this object with only 70mm aperture and with a naked 4.0
eye limiting magnitude. Also this night I'm using a Video Tripod (Celestron)
that doesn't suit this telescope. A more rugged tripod is a must in order to
enjoy it at 100%.

--
Optional related URLs: http://members.tripod.net/~whuyss