(IAAC) Obj: M29 - Inst: 102 mm f/9.8 Achromatic refractor

----

Observer: Luis Arguelles
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: July,22,1998 - 21:58 UT
Location of site: Santander - Spain (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 4.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 102 mm f/9.8 Achromatic refractor
Magnification: 25x, 50x, 100x, 200x
Filter(s):
Object(s): M29
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: Cyg
Data: mag 6.6  size 7.0'
Position: RA :  DEC :
I locate it very easy moving from Sadr (Gamma Cygni, Mv = 2.20). I found many
people is unable to find some open clusters, specially if they are located
within the milky-way star clouds. The shape of M29 is unforgettable.

It's really easy to observe it at 25x and yet better at 50x. I can count
10 - 11 stars in the cluster.

Nobody can misunderstand M29 with a comet. I think Messier was perfectly
conscient that his list was changing from a simple list of "comets" to
something very much important. Another posibility is that he used really,
reallly ugly optics, but it's very difficult to imagine such bad observi
instrument.

--
Optional related URLs: http://members.tripod.net/~whuyss