(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC2419 (globular) INST: 7" NEWT f/5.4 (dob)

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 10/30/98 09:07 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.4(measured) zenith  5.4 in vicinity of object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best):   5
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Clear, near maximum transparency
Instrument: 7" Newt-Dob   f.l. 960  f5.4
Magnifications: 128x(binovue), 35x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC2419
Constellation: Lynx
Object data: Globular Cluster
Size(s): 2'
Position: 7h 38m  38d 53m
Magnitude: 10.3
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition):  D

This skunked me for two days prior, but with better transparency, and
a limiting mag. of between 5.3 and 5.4, I was able to clearly make it out
at 35x. FORTUNATELY there is a carbon red-star in the same field of view, and
three pointer stars in an arc that point right to this globular, so I was
able to find it over and over again once I realized this. Best magnification
is around 100x, I think. It still appears like a round, unresolved ball,
although
with averted vision it did seem a little extended, in one direction, but
couldn't
be sure. It was gradually brighter towards the center, and could easily be
mistaken for a galaxy. This globular is one of the furthest out in the Milky
Way, fun to find on a star hop at this aperture, but not much to look at.

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross
toddg@weatherman.com