(IAAC) Obj: NGC 1931 - Inst: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount

----

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 98/12/07 01:40 UT
Location of site: ASH Naylor Observatory, Lewisberry, PA, USA (Lat 40.15 d N, 76.9 d W, Elev 390 m)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount
Magnification: 118, 202, 259x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 1931
Category: Reflection nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Auriga
Data: mag 9.5  size 3'x 3'
Position: RA 05:31.4  DEC +34:15

While observing some of the open clusters in Auriga I turned my attention to the
emission/reflection nebula (and presumably open cluster) NGC 1931, an object
that I had not observed for a number of years.  This small diffuse nebula
surrounds the ninth magnitude triple star ADS 4112 (page 97, Uranometria I) and
stands up to light pollution fairly well.  There is an excellent CCD image of
NGC 1931 at http://members.home.net/rcoleman/1931.htm (.)
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.msd.org/obs.htm