Constellation: Ori
Data: mag 4.0  size 10 X 10
Position: RA 05:35  DEC -05:27
Spectacular sight in the 8".

Even at 49X, M42 spans the field of view. The bright central mass shows
considerable detail at 98X and 203X and the dark fishmouth is well seen.
I saw a number of bright patches of nebulosity bounded by darker areas.

The Trapezium stars were clearly seperated at 98X, Farther out at low power
the nebula could be traced to the edges of the field of view (10)

The eastern arm of M42 is espescially prominent and I could trace it to the
7 mag. star HD37115

M 43 was seen as a round patch of nebulosity around a mag. 7 star.

There is a sketch on this object on my homepage: URL mentioned below.
--
Optional related URLs: http://home.wxs.nl/~geldo006/home.html