(IAAC) Obj: Struve 817 - Inst: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount

----

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 1999 Jan 19 02:15 UT
Location of site: ASH Naylor Observatory, Lewisberry, PA, USA (Lat 40.15 d N, 76.9 d W, Elev 390 m)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: ~5.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount
Magnification: 118, 202x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): Struve 817
Category: Multiple star.
Class:
Constellation: Orion
Data: mag ~7th  size
Position: RA ~05:55  DEC ~+07d:00'
My plan for this less than perfect night (fairly good seeing but poor
transparency) was to log more of the binary stars included in the 33 Doubles
in Orion project (http://members.tripod.com/~whuyss/33/33_orion.html).  My first
target, however, was not one of the doubles on the list.  I had heard mention of
a nice binary star in the vicinity of Betelgeuse, namely Struve 817 (page 181,
Uranometria 2000.0).  Located about 20' south of Alpha Orionis, Struve 817 is an
evenly matched pair of ~7th magnitude stars with a roughly east-west
orientation.  I noted no color at both 118 (55mm University Optics Ploessl) and
202x (32mm U.O. Koenig II).

--
Optional related URLs: http://www.msd.org/obs.htm