(IAAC) OBJECT:HICKSON61(galaxy group, incl. ngc4169) INST:18" f/4.2 Newt.

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 1/26/99 09:00GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.2(estimated) zenith
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): about 4
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Clear, partial snowcover (light pollution)
Instrument: 18" Stabilite Newt f/4.2 1925mm fl
Magnifications: 203x - televue binoviewer
Filters used: none
Object: Hickson 61, incl. ngc 4169
Constellation: Virgo
Object data: Galaxy group (4)
Size(s): 9.2 arc min total
Position: RA: 12:12 DEC: 29:11
Magnitude: 12.2
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition):  B-

Nice cluster of galaxies which form a box. Three of the galaxies
are easy, so it really looks like a triangle, and the fourth corner
(ngc 4175?, or possibly 4173) is much larger and quite low in surface
brightness, hard to detect in my suburban skies. At 203x, however, using
averted vision, the fourth member could be sensed, and in fact, I did
record it's proper orientation and size in an after-viewing diagram.
Not bad, but not as nice as Hickson 92 or Hickson 68.

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross
toddg@weatherman.com