(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC 4214 (irregular galaxy) INST: 18" f/4.2 NEWT. LM=5.2

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate
Date and UT of observation: 2/15/99 09:00 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.2(estimated) zenith
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): about 4
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Perfectly clear
Instrument: 18" Stabilite Newt f/4.2 1925mm fl
Magnifications: 71x,128x,203x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC 4214
Constellation: CVn
Object data: Irregular Galaxy
Size(s): 11'x9'
Position: RA12:16 DEC36:20N
Magnitude: 10.3
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition):  B-

Very interesting galaxy, irregular in overall and internal shape.
Medium size, not as bright (sfc. brightness) as NGC4449, 4605, or 5033
viewed during the same session. Shaped somewaht like a cross between
a cumulus cloud (flat-ish base) and a swan shape. The internal long
brighter section (like a bar) near the base shows numerous irregularities,
knots, and/or foreground stars.... which became apparent only at 128x and up.
In fact, at 203x, many neighboring foreground stars became apparent, making
the whole star field more enjoyable... at this aperture. Was viewing near
the zenith on a great night at my location, otherwise I doubt I would have had
much luck with this object.

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross