(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC4236 (galaxy) INST: 18" F/4.2 NEWT, LM=5.2, Rating=C

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 2/23/99 08:40 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.2 zenith
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): about 3
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 18" Stabilite Newt f/4.2 1925mm fl
Magnifications: 82.3x,120x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC4236
Constellation: Draco
Object data: Galaxy
Size(s): 18.6x6.9'
Position: 12:17  69:28
Magnitude: 9.7
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition): C

There is no question that this object is going to allude many who
look for it, it almost did me! It's an extended object with low
sfc. brightness. Long and narrow, this galaxy appeared relatively
featureless other than it's very thin "french bread" shape. Hardly
brighter than my background sky, I was able to discern it more easily
at LOW power than high, with it nearly invisible at 120x, and yet
detectable after awhile with little effort using averted vision at
82x. I also viewed NGC 3359, and 3898 in the same session, and while
much more detectable, they weren't all that great either, also earning
a "C" rating. (they were smaller and rounder)

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross
toddg@weatherman.com