(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC4036 (galaxy) INST: 18" F/4.2 NEWT, LM=5.2, Rating=B

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 2/23/99 09:07 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): 5.2 zenith
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): about 3
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 18" Stabilite Newt f/4.2 1925mm fl
Magnifications: binoviewer 128x,202x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC4036
Constellation: UMajor
Object data: Galaxy
Size(s): 4.3x1.7
Position: 12:01  61:54
Magnitude: 10.7
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition): B

Funny thing about this galaxy. I slewed the scope to it right
after viewing NGC4125. It was so similar in appearance, size and
orientation that I had to double check my DSCs, and the surrounding
starfield for a second to make sure the scope made it's move to the
new galaxy, and wasnt still on NGC4125!

This edge-on, ngc4036 was best viewed at around 130x. The outer
extentions of the edge-on arms were more easily viewed that way  (low power)
and  it gave a greater visual impact, it was more "striking" in appearance.
It also was a bit more striking than edge-on ngc4125 by a tad, and
had a more uniform, and seemingly smaller (lengthwise) core. Like 4036, the
core
bulged out on both sides, and the galaxy was slightly "flatter" looking
(bottom) on one side. The galaxy is a small, sharp, and fairly
bright.."pretty"
edge-on, best viewed at mid power, and whose arms extend further with
averted vision.  B/B- at this aperture and sky condition.

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross
toddg@weatherman.com