(IAAC) Obj: Ced 59 (FU Ori variable nebula) - Inst: 17.5" f/4.5 dob

Observer: Lew Gramer
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 9/10 Feb 1999  04:00 UT
Location of site: MIT Haystack Obs., Westford, MA, USA (Lat 43N, Elev 30m)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 6.6 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 4 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 17.5" f/4.5 dob reflector
Magnification: 57x, 225x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): Ced 59
Object category: Bright Nebula.
Object class: E+R
Constellation: Ori
Object data: mag 12vm*  size 3x2
Position: 0546+0903
Next up on our tour of duty with the 17.5" Club scope tonight, we went off
searching for the unexpected Orion planetary NGC 2022. We star-hopped from
the lovely star triangle (lambda Ori) at the head of Orion, down along the
E "collar bone" of the Hunter. Sweeping too far on the first try however, I
happened on the yet more surprising emission/reflection nebula Cederblad 59.
This nebula was just visible as an irregular, averted-vision haze WNW of the
mag 9 variable FU Ori. FU is the S vertex star of a wide trio of mag 9 stars,
a short wide-field jump ENE of n2022 (see the later log for the same night),
and just about midway between the of Orion and Betelgeuse. Ced 59 supposedly
varies in size and brightness - which highlights the reflective aspect of it.
Obviously the strange infant star FU and its fascinating nebula will be well
worth a longer look later on, with both higher powers and various filters.
--
Object data thanks to dObjects: http://www.eaglequest.com/~bondono/dObjects