(IAAC) OBJ:Virgo clustr,Pt.1;M60,M59,NGC4647,NGC4638,M58,M87,NGC4550,NGC4551 INST:18"F/4.2 Newt.

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 3/20/99 07:15 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): approx. 5.2 zenith
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): 5 to 6
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Crystal Clear
Instrument: 18" f/4.2 fl=1925mm Newt
Magnifications: Various 71-213x
Filters used: none
Object: All messier Objects - Part 1
Constellations: Virgo
Object data: Galaxies
Size(s): various
Position:
Magnitude:
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition): Mostly B-
(see details)

Went specifically after Messiers this time around.. any NGC objects
are coincidental. Will take a look at this in two parts. This is part 1.

M60- In same field as NGC4647, 4638, and M59. I may be a bit
confused here..as to which was which, verified my drawing to others.

M60 was large and elliptical, bland. Just a brief peak.

NGC4647 just NW of M60 & stretched out, nearly perpendicularly
to M60 and looked more like a spiral . It was very close to M60..
nearly touching.

M59 was a smaller elliptical off to the west, in the same field but
clear on the other end, at 71X. Like an M60 junior. Both very easy.

NGC4638 was much like M59, a smaller, round or slightly elliptical
bland nothing, not as bright and south of M59

(I give the four above a rating of "B" when considered in concert)

M58 was elliptical in shape, with a starlike (broad star, not sharp
like M90) nucleus. Nice foreground star, NW C+

M87 was large, round and bluish in color, with a nice foreground star,
West, looking much (very much) like an unresolved globular  B-

NGC4550, 4551 are two little twins (although one is listed as edge-on
and one not) they both looked edge-on to me, and formed a "V". Tiny
cuties: Rating: B  Ran into these by mistake, on my way to
M89 which I talk about in Part 2. Only had only a brief peak, not
close scrutiny.

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross