Constellation: Orion
Data: mag 3.7  size 1.5x1 degree
Position: RA 5:35  DEC -5:23
This is the first object other than the moon that I viewed after taking
delivery of my new Meade LX10 8" SCT. I thought I was getting a very watered
down LX200. I was pleased to find that I was very wrong. On this night, I had
everything working against me. There was a full moon, street lights, and lots
of humidity. Also, Orion was low in the sky near the glow of the city. Although
I couldn't see much detail, I was surprised that I could still see the general
shape of the nebula, enough to make it worth viewing. As expected, the stars
of the Trapezium were well seperated and sharp points. I'm really looking
forward to getting this scope out to some dark skies.
--
Optional related URLs: