Constellation: Ori,Tau,Gem,CaMaj,Cancer
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
This evening I moved out to my balcony when I saw that the sky is
quite clear. However; my balcony doesn't have good field of view
(cannot see high altitudes so M44) but anyway I will try M44 today so
should wait until midnight.

Finding M45 is very easy. Find Venus,move up one FOV, there it is. I
counted 12 stars there without averted vision. Then looked Alderaban
to find Hyades, about 30 stars are lying below Alderaban without
averted vision. The view is quite clear. I switched to M67, which can
just be seen for small time (it is still climbing) It is seen as a
faint star. I couldn't see any nebulosity or resolution of
stars. Orion's Belt is seen very rich, about 20 stars there except
Alnitak,Alnilam and Mintaka. Orion's sword seems more beautiful that
Orion's belt. There are 11 stars, M42 and two stars in M42. M42's
shape can be seen easily even without averted vision but with averted
vision, it seems more like the pictures. I tried to find M41 but
athough with detailed charts I couldn't find it. I see a star just
near the expected position of M41 and according to SkyMap, its
magnitude is in the order of 6. With averted vision, I saw a small
nebulosity with hints of resolution a few moments but couldn't see it
again. It may also be an illusion. M35 is not difficult to see and
with averted vision, I can see that the stars are resolved but the
view is not clear, there is considerable nebulosity. I slept and when
I got up it was 1:20 AM, I rushed to see M44. Yes it was there, I did
not use detailed map but it was very obvious. I counted 9 stars in a
very small area without averted vision. Marvellous.
--
Optional related URLs: