(IAAC) Obj: NGC 3198 and Pos. SN - Inst: 8", f6, Newtonian

----

Observer: Ed Gandorf
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 5/2/1999, 9:50 pm EDT
Location of site: Rensselaer Co., NY (Lat 42.63, Elev 200)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 4 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 8", f6, Newtonian
Magnification: 35x, 135x
Filter(s): None and LPR
Object(s): NGC 3198 and Pos. SN
Category: External galaxy.
Class: SBc
Constellation: UMaj
Data: mag 13.5sb  size
Position: RA :  DEC :
Barred spiral, 13.5 mag surface brightness; after Lew's recent
postings about a possible SN in NGC 3198, and a little web research to
get some reference charts and photos, I went searching for this
galaxy. The 16 day old moon hadn't risen yet, and so I had moderately
dark skies with only so-so transparency, but excellent steadiness (I
did a lot of Mars viewing!)

Anyway, using the 35mm eyepiece, I starhopped from the two "paw" stars
of UMaj up to a 6-7 mag * to the N, and from there followed a trail of
2 8mag *; 3198 was centered between those 2 and a trio of 8-9 mag *
forming a triangle.

3198 was an ellipitcal ft blur of neb with a rel. large core; with AV
the outer arms/halo came into view. Small brt dropoff from center to
edges of core, but a more distinct dropoff from the core to the outer
arms. No structure was seen. The LPR provided only a small contrast
gain, although it did show the outer arms.

Two 11-12 mag * were perpindicular to long axis of 3198, extending to
Np side. Two ft *, 14/15 mag, were vis with AV to the S. No sight of
the possible SN, just above those 2 ft *. I've made a reference
sketch, and will try again as soon as the weather here cooperates!
--
Optional related URLs: