Constellation: UMa
Data: mag 12.5  size
Position: RA 09:22  DEC 50:58
Finding the 10.5 magnitude galaxy was pretty easy. It lies approximately 2
degrees from a naked eye star in Ursa Major. I didn't think I would be able to
find the galaxy because even after the clouds cleared, it was apparent there was
still quite a bit of high altitude humidity in the air. I had to look roughly
in the direction of Philadelphia and the haze was causing the city's lights to
be scattered high above the horizon.

It took some time but the supernova was quite easy to see when the atmosphere
cooperated. The supernova lies very near a foreground star in a direct line to
the easily visible galaxy core. I was observing with a friend and neither of us
saw it for maybe 15 minutes. Then, I guess the sky conditions got better and
both of us saw a very faint point of light exactly where the supernova was
supposed to be. After a few minutes, it went away not to be seen again.

It seems like this shouldn't be that big of a deal. After all, it's just a
point of light. But, I seem to get more enjoyment out of locating supernova
than anything else. I guess it's more magnitude (no pun intended) of what is
happening than the actual viewing.
--
Optional related URLs: