(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC6934 (globular) INST: 18" f/4.2 NEWT LM=5.0

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 5/13/99 08:10 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): approx. 4.5 zenith, less vicinity object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): 6
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Crystal Clear
Instrument: 18" f/4.2 fl=1925mm Newt
Magnifications: Various, mainly 202x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC6934 (globular)
Constellation: DEL
Object data: Globular cluster
Size(s): 5.9
Position:20:34 +7:24
Magnitude: 8.9
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition): B-

Twilight was coming on when I observed this object, but I did get a chance
to get an idea of how it compares to M71 and M56 both viewed the same
session. In sharp contrast to those two globulars, sprawling with stars,
(in the 18" anyway), NGC6934 was much smaller, compact, and classic
looking, with a bright core, and outlying individual members resolving
and diminishing in numbers from the inside out. There was some resolution
in the center, but more or less, this looks like M13 as seen through a 4"
scope, with most resolution on the outskirts only. Cute but not that
impressive in mag. 4.5 skies.

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross