(IAAC) Obj: Supernova SN 1999cl - Inst: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount

----

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 1999/6/04 02:35 UT
Location of site: ASH Naylor Observatory, Lewisberry, PA, USA (Lat 40.15 d N, 76.9 d W, Elev 190 m)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 4 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 17" f/15 classical Cassegrain equatorial mount
Magnification: 118, 202, 259x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): Supernova SN 1999cl
Category: Other.
Class:
Constellation: Coma Berenices
Data: mag ~14?  size
Position: RA 12h:32m  DEC 14d:25'

The weather forecasts were right on the money yesterday as the day-long clouds
departed promptly at sunset.  The skies at the Naylor Observatory were darker
and more transparent than the norm which worked in well with my plans to observe
the new supernova in M88 (NGC 4501).  SN 1999cl is located 46" west and 23"
north of the center of this 9.6 magnitude Sc spiral galaxy.  Using several
downloaded CCD images of the galaxy and the supernova that I found at
http://www.ggw.org/asras/snimages/ I had no trouble determining the location
of SN 1999cl.  (A 12.0 magnitude field star lies due north of the supernova and
a pair of dimmer field stars are situated to the southeast.)  I was somewhat
surprised because the supernova seemed brighter to me than the 14+ magnitude
estimates I had uncovered on Thursday.  While in that neck of the woods I also
viewed the Messier galaxies M90 and M91 at 202x.

--
Optional related URLs: http://www.ezonline.com/ash/obs.htm