Constellation: Cyg
Data: mag 9.8  size 30"
Position: RA 20:112  DEC 38:21
This is the Blinking Planetary Nebula. I didn't really expect to find this
object since the humidity was causing the lights of Philadelphia to be
scattered quite high above the horixon. But, I quickly found it in the 40mm
eyepiece at 50x. It was barely indistinguishable from nearby stars but
something didn't look the same. Also, the digital setting circles told me I
was on the right spot. Going to 100x told me it definitely wasn't a star. But,
I was still not sure this wasn't the object I was looking for because it
remained a round, fuzzy spot even as I looked right at it. But, after a few
moments, it suddenly became a distinct point of light as if it were a star.
Then, when I would blink, it would return to being the round, fuzzy spot. I
became obsorbed in this phenomena and spent maybe 10 minutes staring and
blinking. This was easily my favorite object of the evening.
--
Optional related URLs: