(IAAC) Obj: M27 (NGC 6853) - Inst: 7.1" f/9 AP refractor

Observer: Eric Jamison
Your skill: Advanced
Date and UT of observation: (1999-June-19, 3:30 UT)
Location: Massachusetts
Site classification: suburbia
Limiting magnitude: 5
Seeing (1 to 10): 6
Moon up (phase?): yes, 0.338
Instrument: 7.1" f/9 AP refractor
Magnification: 29x to 405x
Filters used: None, UHC, OIII
Object: M27
Category: Planetary Nebula
Class:
Constellation: Vulpecula
Object data: mag: 7.3, size: 8.0' x 5.7'
RA/DE: 19h 59m 33s/+22deg 43' 9"

At low power (29x, 46x, 60x) M27 appeared large, bright, and light green in
color, with the two extensions on each end giving the nebula an oval
appearance. Although the two extensions were visible without a filter, a UHC
and OIII made them easier to see, with the OIII showing the most detail.

A medium magnifications one side of the nebula appeared brighter then the
other, and this brighter portion seemed to extend in about 25% from the edge.
Also, the rest of the central portion of the nebula showed some variation in
tone. In this area at very high magnifications (324x), several stars were
noted with both direct and averted vision, two near the edge, and one near
the center. Several other stars were noted also at 405x, but only with
averted vision and it was difficult to confirm their position as they popped
in and out of view.

This is my first observation posted to this list so please let me know if it
was okay.

Clear Skies,

Eric Jamison