Constellation: Coma Berenices
Data: mag 9.4v  size 11.0'x 8.3'
Position: RA 12:50.4  DEC +25:30
  After a long cold winter of little observing the weather has finally
cooperated and I was able to roll the roof of the observatory back now that most
of the ice has melted off. The night was quite nice with 50% humidity and almost
no breeze. The transparency was average and so was the seeing but hey at least I
was out! One of the more unusual of the many objects I viewed this night was a
fairly bright and large barred spiral in Coma, it was fairly easy to find and
after viewing 4565, it lay about a degree and 1/2 east. The galaxy has a bright
oval nucleus and spiral arms that form a ring around the centre. The arms are
brightest at the NE and SW  with the NE being the brighter of the two. The NE
arc had 3 14th (estimate) mag stars on or near it, one of the three was between
the nucleus and the bar. During moments of steadier seeing faint fairly wide
bars were seen linking the core to the spiral arms running NE-SW.
  This was an interesting new find for me and well worth spending some time with
as a fair bit of detail was visible, I'll have to try again later in Spring when
Coma is better placed in the sky.
  Cheers from the Great White North! (hopefully not white for much longer!)
--
Optional related URLs: