Constellation: sculptor
Data: mag ?  size ?
Position: RA 00:51.5  DEC -25:20.0
Globular clusters of NGC253
Using an astrophisical journal artical advising the discovery of 3 globulars in
NGC253, I set about trying to observe them. The globular clusters that were
designated A and B are located about 16' east of the nucleus of NGC253. Both of
these clusters if true members of this galaxy will be slightly more luminous than
the clusters seen in the local group. A is listed as being 16.00 magnitude and
B is listed as 16.83. Both of these clusters must have an absolute magnitude of
greater than -10.
A was visible as a 16th mag star with direct vision at 160X. A pair of 14.5 mag stars
lie 2.5' west of the cluster. B was visible with averted vision and occasionaly
with direct vision about 4' further west from the 14.5 mag pair. If these are real
globular clusters they are visible at over 2.5 Megaparsecs distance.
Unfortunatly my globular cluster file is with an observing friend and I am
unable to supply the APJ article number for referance, I will post it as soon as
I can.
clear skies.

--
Optional related URLs: