Constellation: lyra
Data: mag 14.8  size 0.9"x0.5"
Position: RA 18:53  DEC +33:2
At our dark (very dark!) site near the village of Foymount which lies
164 km nnnwest of Ottawa, Ontario in the Madawaska highlands our observing
group (Ottawa Amateur Observers Group) met to do some fantastic deep sky
observing. Using one of our members scopes (Attilla Dankos fine 25"
Obsession) we decided to try for the faint ic galaxy very near m57 in Lyra.
The low suface brightness object lies about 4 arcminutes to the NW of m57,
using the 12th mag star that is just outside the ring as the 12 o-clock
position the galaxy lies about 4 ring widths to the 5 o-clock position.
Even using relatively low power and with the bright ring still in the FOV
the galaxy was seen by several viewers using direct vision!

Hopefully we will be organizing a major star party at this great site
for next summer!
--
Optional related URLs:
 http://ottawa.rasc.ca/astronomy/star_parties/mike_wirths/mike_obs_pics.html