(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC7479 (galaxy) INST: 18" fl 1925mm Newt(dob)

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 7/11/99 07:30 GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): approx. 5.0 zenith, 4.8 vic.object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): 5-6
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 18" f/4.2 fl=1925mm Newt
Magnifications: 226x
Filters used:
Object: NGC7479
Constellation: Peg.
Object data: G-SBc
Size(s): 4.1x3.1
Position:23:05, 12:19
Magnitude: 10.8
Personal "rating": B

I can see that this would be really nice in even darker skies.
Well define Galaxy highly elongated (bar is edge-on in appearance)
with elongated, somewhat brighter core. HOWEVER, I happened to
have seen this object in a ccd photo I took a week before, and I
knew it was a barred spiral.(but I did not remember the shape)
After quite some time, with averted vision primarily, I was able
to make out one of the two spiral arms shooting off the (west)
tip off the main bar. It was unsual in that it came out at an
acute angle , to the north.. making a "V" with the bar. Two
foreground stars were prominent, one near the tip on the (east?)
end of the bar, and another in the cradle of the "V" already
described.

thanks!
-Todd

Boston Meteorologist Todd Gross