(IAAC) Obj: NGC 40 - Inst: 30" f/4, dob

----

Observer: Mark Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 7-9-99, 6:30 UT
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat N 38, Elev ~700')
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 30" f/4, dob
Magnification: 150x-540x
Filter(s): Orion Ultrablock
Object(s): NGC 40
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class: 3b+3
Constellation: Cepheus
Data: mag 10.7p  size 48"
Position: RA 00h:13m 1.0s  DEC +72:31' 19"
This large, bright pn was gray at all powers.  I noted small dark lanes on
either side of the easily detected mag 11.5 central star.  The upper edge of the
pn was slightly brighter than the central regions and the lower edge was much
brighter.  A faint field star marked the location of a notch in the edge of the
pn.  The pn was brighter with the Orion Ultrablock but I preferred the view
without the filter since the faint field star was no longer visible.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.usmo.com/~deepsky/astrobonw.htm