(IAAC) Obj: NGC 246 - Inst: 40" f/5 dob

----

Observer: Mark G.Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 10-11-99, 5:30 UT (12:30 CDT)
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat ~38, Elev ~700')
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 40" f/5 dob
Magnification: lowest power 125x
Filter(s): OIII, H-beta, Orion Ultrablock
Object(s): NGC 246
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Cetus
Data: mag 8.0  size 240" x 210"
Position: RA 00h:47.2m  DEC -11:53
A great deal of detail is visible in this planetary.  The best view was with the
Orion Ultrablock, although I did not have the OIII with me and it may have been
 as good or better.  I was struck by the way the nebula almost appears to have
two "central stars" since two stars within the nebula are in the center of dark
regions.  The fainter of the two is probably not associated with the nebula but
the very faint, thin rim located near this star appears to bulge out slightly
with this star near its radius of curvature.  Without the filter in place a very
faint star was seen in this faint area of nebulousity.  Yann has noted that the
central star is actually a double star but I was unaware of this and did not
record it as being double in my notes.  I'll take a closer look at the central
star next time.  A sketch can be seen at:
http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/ngc246.jpg

--
Optional related URLs: