Constellation: Ori
Data: mag --  size
Position: RA :  DEC :
After getting to the precise position below Zeta Orionis, I used a 22
Nagler with a UHC filter to id the Horsehead. After a few minutes, the
horsehead shape popped right out. Once obtained, it stuck right out as
a direct vision object. Much larger than I anticipated. Still very
faint by most standards but it is relatively easy once you know where
it is within your field. There is no need for a H-beta filter or even
a O-III at this aperture and dark skies. The snoot of the horse was
also visible but with averted vision. Best view was with a 35 Panoptic
at 74x with a UHC. I did not detect the Horsehead or the background
nebula (IC 434) with a 12 Nagler and a O-III. Field was just too
dark. Need to try this one under mtn skies for even higher
transparency.
--
Optional related URLs: