(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC2371 (Planetary) INST: 18" f/4.2 Newt

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 10/15/99 09:00GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude(visual):approx.5.3 zenith,5.3 nr.object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): 6-7
Moon up (phase?): Yes, thin crescent
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 18" f/4.2 fl=1925mm Newt
Magnifications: 316X, 100x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC2371
Constellation: GEM
Object data: PN
Size(s): 44"
Position: 7:26 +29:29
Magnitude: 11.2
Personal "rating": B/B+

Very interesting planetary, I think I have written up previously. This
time , with no filter and 316x, a pretty double-planetary nebula with a
central star, approx. 14.7 mag. which pops out particularly well with
averted vision. No strong color. The two lobes (shaped freeform triangular)
appear barely connected at the central star..
and seem more separate than similar and larger nebulas.. M76 and M27.
At first glance at 100x I did mistake this as a double star,
but didn't take much scrutiny to see that at least one lobe was nebulous,
before I began raising magnification.

Todd