(IAAC) Obj: NGC 2392, Eskimo Nebula - Inst: 40" f/5 dob

----

Observer: Mark G.Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 11-11-99, 8:50 UT, (2:50 am CST)
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat ~38, Elev ~700')
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 40" f/5 dob
Magnification: lowest power 125x
Filter(s): OIII, H-beta, Orion Ultrablock
Object(s): NGC 2392, Eskimo Nebula
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class: 3B + 3B
Constellation: Gemini
Data: mag 9.9(P)  size 19.5"
Position: RA 07:29m 10.8s  DEC +20:54' 43"
This beautiful pn showed a bright inner ring surrounding the central star.  The
area inside the ring was evenly illuminated and slightly darker than the outer
halo.  The lower part of the ring split for a short distance with a dark area
in the separation equal in brightness to the nebulousity inside the main ring.
The outer halo was about 3x the diameter of the inner ring.  It was evenly
illuminated except for a bright area near the top and a slightly brighter area
on the right side.  I have seen so many photos of this object that the upper
bright area may have been coming from my memory rather than from my retina.
This doesn't explain the bright area on the right though, since none of the
photos I've seen show this to be a particularly bright area.  A drawing can be
seen at
http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm