(IAAC) Obj: rho Ori - Inst: Orion 6" Dob

----

Observer: William L.Schart
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 1/4/99 10:13 pm CST
Location of site: Killeen, TX (Lat 31, Elev 820)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 4.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Orion 6" Dob
Magnification: 32x, 48x, 72x, 98x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): rho Ori
Category: Multiple star.
Class:
Constellation: Ori
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
I constructed an hexagonal objective mask on Monday and went back to
this pair to see if I could split them with this aid. I suspected a
split at 72x, but definately split at 120x. the primary is bright
yellow while the very faint seocndary appeared blue to me. I estimated
the PA at about 150d, but the secondary was so faint that it was
really difficult to see it with the reticle illumination turned on and
this is more of a guestimate than a measurement.
--
Optional related URLs: