(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC3293 (or IC2581) Open cluster INST: 6" f/5 reflector

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 12/29/99
Location & latitude: Grand Cayman, BWI, 20n
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude(visual):approx.4.5zenith, 4 nr.object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): 5
Moon up (phase?): Yes, last 1/4
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 6" f/5
Magnifications: 54x
Filters used: none
Object: NGC3293 (may be IC2581)
Constellation: Car
Object data: OC
Size(s): 8min
Position: 10:27 +57:37
Magnitude: 4
Personal "rating": B/B+

Small open cluster, tight and pretty with a couple of reddish stars. Fairly
bright
stars, resolved. Easy find in binoculars, in fact, I thought I had stumbled
on
Eta Carina..which is just SE of this object.

Reported as NGC3293 by Steve Coe, but small in size, suggesting it may be
IC2581 listed
right nearby in THE SKY. Very similar to the Jewel Box cluster and NGC3766
nearby.

Todd Gross