(IAAC) OBJECT: M51 (galaxy) NGC5195 INST: 10" f/5 newtonian

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 01/06/00 09:00GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude(visual):approx.5.2 zenith,5.2 nr.object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): approx. 6
Moon up (phase?): New
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 10" f/5 newt.
Magnifications: 77,104,77x
Filters used: none
Object: M51, NGC5195
Constellation: Uma
Object data: Galaxy
Size(s): 11'/7'
Position: 13:30 +47:12
Magnitude: 8.4
Personal "rating": B+

Interesting view of M51 through the 10" scope this morning. This newtonian
with it's zambuto optics did show M51 as having dark lanes spiraling in
towards center, similar, but less impressive than in the 18". Almost
photographic
in that it's shape was so recognizable to what one sees in the photos.

What did strike me though is that the bridge up to ngc5195,
and it's glowing center to the
north looked at first glance pretty complete. Also  the
bright-ish foreground star which is actually around mag. 14 I'd
say was pretty dominant, much like in the 18" although no other
foreground stars could be made out (those near 15th
mag. ) I also clearly saw the neighboring star off the bridge-side (east?)
between the two galaxies. Much better than previous views through 7 , 8"
aperture.