(IAAC) Obj: Theta Orionis, NGC 1981, NGC2232, NGC2244 (Rosetta Cluster), Rosetta Nebula, NGC2264, M41 - Inst: 10x50 binoculars

----

Observer: Erhan Ozturk
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 14th Jan 2000  19:40-20:40 UT
Location of site: Ankara/Turkey (Lat 40N, Elev 1000m)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 3.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 3 <10-1 Seeing Scale (1 best)>
Moon presence: Minor - crescent or far from object
Instrument: 10x50 binoculars
Magnification: 10
Filter(s): None
Object(s): Theta Orionis, NGC 1981, NGC2232, NGC2244 (Rosetta Cluster), Rosetta Nebula, NGC2264, M41
Category: Open cluster. Emission nebula. Multiple star.
Class:
Constellation: Ori, Mon, Ca Maj
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
For many weeks, the sky was fully cloudy so although the light pollution is
high (partly due to snow on the ground), I tried to make some observation
tonight.

Theta Orionis: Seen as three stars embedded in M42. Theta1 is seen as a single
star. Theta2 is resolved into two stars, the southeastern of which is fainter.

NGC1981: With direct vision, 6-7 stars are seen, with averted vision I was able
to see about 10 atars.

NGC2232: With averted vision, few stars are seen.

NGC2244 and Rosetta Nebula: About 8-10 stars are seen with averted vision. Rosetta nebula is not
visible.

NGC2264: With averted vision, 4-5 stars are seen. A group of stars, SW of
S-Mon. forms an arc but they don't belong to the cluster. No nebula seen.

M41: Without averted vision, a faint nebula without stars is seen. With
averted vision, about 10 stars are seen. Also the unresolved stars cause a
nebulious view. A few months ago, I had a look to M41 and the view was
totally different. The observation I made was after midnight and light
pollution was considerably less. Under those conditions, M41 was much more
beautiful.
--
Optional related URLs: