(IAAC) Obj: Ori 59 - Inst: Orion 6" Dob

----

Observer: William L.Schart
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 2/2/00 9:57 pm CST
Location of site: Killeen, TX (Lat 31, Elev 820)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 4 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Orion 6" Dob
Magnification: 48x, 72x, 98x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): Ori 59
Category: Multiple star.
Class:
Constellation: Ori
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
Forms a Y-shaped asterism with 3 other stars, including 60 Ori. At
first this appeared as a very wide spaced double, but at 98x I
detected a very faint companion which turned out to be the true
secondary. (What appears to be the bright companion is SAO 113311.)
Its faintness made measurements difficult, as when close to the lines
in my reticle EP, the illumination all but drowned it out. I resorted
to trying to line it up at a distince from the reference line, and
obtained a PA of 222d, but this is pretty shakey. Separation 40'.
Once I had found this faint star, I could clearly split it at 48x.
--
Optional related URLs: