(IAAC) Obj: m 66, ngc 3627 - Inst: 40" f/5 dob

----

Observer: Mark Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 2-7-00, 8:45 UT (2:45 am CST)
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat ~38, Elev ~700 feet)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 40" f/5 dob
Magnification: 144x, 288x
Filter(s):
Object(s): m 66, ngc 3627
Category: External galaxy.
Class: SAB(s)b
Constellation: Leo
Data: mag 9.7  size 9.1' x 4.1'
Position: RA 11h:20m 15s  DEC +12:59' 29"
The elongated central region of m66 was bright with a brighter non-stellar
core.  The core seemed to be slightly off center (east?) in the bright central
region.  To the southeast were three bright patches separated from each other
by distinct dark lanes.  Another bright patch was seen just to the northeast.
Just to the north was another bright patch that contained a nearly stellar
condensation.  Hazy areas were seen extending off to the northeast and southwest
with the extension to the southwest being the brighter of the two.  I'm not
positive about the directions used here, I did not check them at the time of
the observation, I later got them off of a photo taken at the Anglo-Australian
Observatory.  A drawing can be seen at
http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm

--
Optional related URLs: http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm