Constellation: virgo
Data: mag 8.6  size 7.1'
Position: RA 12:30.8  DEC 12:24
Talking to Bob Evans a little while ago I was discussing active galaxies and
their bearing on possible SN. During our conversation he mentioned that in the
past he had been able to observe the jet of M87. I found this hard to swallow
but thought that I would give it a go.
I remembered this small bit of information during my weeeks stay at Ilford
during Feburary and decided to try this observation.
Locating M87 is quite easy and thr galaxy appeared bright through hector.
No jet was noticed at 160x. At 200x I noticed a slight brightening on the
western edge of the galaxies nucleus. At 250x this brightening became more
apparent and appeared to be about 40"long.
Is this the jet or was I just fooling myself.
Has anyone else seen the jet?
I could not reobserve the galaxy as I decided to track it down on my last
nights observing.
Clear skies
Andrew Murrell

--