Constellation: Uma
Data: mag 16.8  size stellar 6" separation
Position: RA 10:01  DEC +55:53
After a awful Feb for observing we finally got a decent night that
was'nt too cold (-2 C). Despite only very average seeing my observing
partner and I decided to try for the double quasar in Uma, this one
BTW is supposed to be much easier than the infamous Einsteins Cross
lens. The starting point for the quasar is the bright edge-on galaxy
NGC 3079 which is worthwhile all by itself. The galaxy points to the
quasar to the SE approx 2 galaxy lengths away near a parallelogram of
13th and 14th mag stars. The quasar lies off the se corner.

I managed to get a few fleeting but definite glimpses of the quasar
split the orientation corresponded to the DSS plate pic I had studied
earlier in the evening. This was quite a thrill for us and it was
definitely a long distance record at almost 8 billion light years!!!
My interest in this object was piqued by the Skyhound website that has
a feature on this object for the month of March.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html